internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "You can get shot in Cary, too!"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "You can get shot in Cary, too!"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:47:39 -0500

On 3/3/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/06, Tom Karches <tkarches AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > What completely bogus analysis. How can you compare murder rate
> > statistics for a single city (Durham) to an aggregation of multiple
> > cities? This means nothing. How about comparing the murder rate in
> > Durham to the total number of people murdered in Peru in 2003?
> >
> > What passes for news these days......I don't miss it.
>
> Tom,
>
> You completely miss the point. It isn't the comparison that's
> interesting, it's the fact that there have been NO murders in Durham
> so far this year. That's extremely GOOD news. Let's hope that
> streak stays like it is for as long as possible.

As a Durham resident since last November I'm happy for this kind of
news, frankly. I've heard the police a few times but it's good to
know it wasn't for murder.

My neighborhood seems pretty quiet and the neighbors seem benign, and
I'd like it to stay that way.

Go Durham! Let's see if we can extend the no-murders run for another
month! (I mean I need to at least be realistic, right?)

Lyman

--
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,