internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "You can get shot in Cary, too!"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tom Karches" <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "You can get shot in Cary, too!"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:32:10 -0500

On 3/2/06, Ruth Suehle <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> For you guys who were down on Durham tonight because of crime - WRAL must
> have overheard us. (And then gone back in time to post the story... Um,
> yeah. That's it.)
>
> http://www.wral.com/news/7620495/detail.html
>
> Durham Enjoying A Quiet 2006 Without A Single Reported Murder
>
> Raleigh, Greensboro, Fayetteville and Charlotte have reported a total of 18
> homicides in 2006, with Charlotte, the state's largest city, reporting 10.

What completely bogus analysis. How can you compare murder rate
statistics for a single city (Durham) to an aggregation of multiple
cities? This means nothing. How about comparing the murder rate in
Durham to the total number of people murdered in Peru in 2003?

What passes for news these days......I don't miss it.

--Tom

--
Tom Karches
tkarches AT gmail.com