internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Will wireless suffice for an office of 12?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Will wireless suffice for an office of 12?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:20:59 -0500

+1 to Kevin.

I work for a HUGE company and we have deployed wireless everywhere.  In fact I'm using it right now in a conference room.  I have no problems with 802.11 but there is a noticeable decrease in performance going from wired to wireless, as one would expect when moving from a pure switched environment with a non-blocking 10 gig backbone (in my case) to a shared bandwidth, slower speed connection with a gazillion layers of security shoveled on top.  But it still works reliably.

At any rate I'd still suggest pulling on Cat6 down the wall to make a routed gig link between the two floors and serve all of the floor below with 10/100 Ethernet.  You won't have to worry about how secure it is, etc..  but there is something to be said for collaborative environments where one can just pick up his or her thinkpad and walk over to a friends cube and say "see, look at this, I TOLD you so..".

Come to think of it, I'd deploy both.  Freedom for all!  Take your bits as you please.

Greg

On 1/27/06, Kevin Sonney < kevin AT sonney.com> wrote:
On 1/27/06, Lance A. Brown < lance AT bearcircle.net> wrote:
> Would you care to elaborate on that?  "certain protocols like the ones
> use for email"?  Like what: SMTP? IMAP? IMAPS?  POP? POPS?  Explain to
> me how wireless messes them up.

Jim can't, and wifi won't. Packets are packets, and aside from signal
interference WiFi is perfectly reliable for home, office, or travel
use. I know several large companies (Apple, RedHat, Cisco, and IBM for
starters) who use Wifi extensively in their offices. Admittedly, they
don't use WiFI for their servers, but in no way will wifi cause
problems with the actual data protocols.

Mr. Ray had a bad experience with WiFi. Since then he has consistently
sold FUD about 802.11[a|b|g]. He has done it here, he has done it on
other local mailing lists.

I have been using WiFi for several years now. Aside from signal
interference problems caused by non-compliant devices ( 2.4GhZ phones
do NASTY things across the spectrum to maintain signals), I have not
had data loss due to "protocol problems" on my WiFi. WiFi is perfectly
reliable for small, medium, and large office use when set up
correctly.

--
-- Kevin Sonney
-- kevin AT sonney.com