internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Will wireless suffice for an office of 12?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <kevin AT sonney.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Will wireless suffice for an office of 12?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:39:14 -0500

On 1/27/06, Lance A. Brown <lance AT bearcircle.net> wrote:
> Would you care to elaborate on that? "certain protocols like the ones
> use for email"? Like what: SMTP? IMAP? IMAPS? POP? POPS? Explain to
> me how wireless messes them up.

Jim can't, and wifi won't. Packets are packets, and aside from signal
interference WiFi is perfectly reliable for home, office, or travel
use. I know several large companies (Apple, RedHat, Cisco, and IBM for
starters) who use Wifi extensively in their offices. Admittedly, they
don't use WiFI for their servers, but in no way will wifi cause
problems with the actual data protocols.

Mr. Ray had a bad experience with WiFi. Since then he has consistently
sold FUD about 802.11[a|b|g]. He has done it here, he has done it on
other local mailing lists.

I have been using WiFi for several years now. Aside from signal
interference problems caused by non-compliant devices (2.4GhZ phones
do NASTY things across the spectrum to maintain signals), I have not
had data loss due to "protocol problems" on my WiFi. WiFi is perfectly
reliable for small, medium, and large office use when set up
correctly.

--
-- Kevin Sonney
-- kevin AT sonney.com