internetworkers - [internetworkers] Is anonymous speech on the Internet now a crime?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Christian Stalberg" <cstalberg AT internet-lab.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Is anonymous speech on the Internet now a crime?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:25:33 -0500

This new law was buried in the "Violence Against Women and Department
of Justice Reauthorization Act of 2005". There are cases where one-to-many
anonymous free speech (e.g. whistlebowers and rape victims) should be
protected, especially on the Internet. Well, anonymous postings on the
Internet that are 'annoying' are now punishable crimes. The constitutionality of
this new law is already being discussed and there is no clear concensus.
What is most disturbing is the chilling effect this vague, messy new law may
have on protected free speech through a mass medium whose use is
affordable by the lone dissenter, unlike the broadcast networks. Never mind
much of the spin (whose author I know not) I find on Fox News is annoying
(if not nauseating). Here are some articles written about this, FYI.

Apologies for double-postings.

- Christian

Create an e-annoyance, go to jail
By Declan McCullagh
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?tag=sas.email

FAQ about this issue written by Declan McCullagh
http://news.com.com/FAQ+The+new+annoy+law+explained/2100-1028_3-6025396.html

Alternative point of view, espoused by Orin Kerr (with further responses and
argument)
http://volokh.com/posts/1136873535.shtml