internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:36:36 -0500

So this would assumedly or probably be Macrovision that is causing the
problem. Circumventing Macrovision is a murky pit. I wouldn't even
pretend to know all the legal issues. Speaking from a "fair use"
point of view though, I'd say that you can find macrovision defeat
devices out there fairly cheaply and they should allow you to record
the VHS tapes to DVD.

Now, all that said, I would highly recommend you simply reconsider
recording Disney VHS movies to DVD. You would be MUCH better served
buying new copies of the movies on DVD. You can sell the Disney VHS
tapes on Ebay (I still see them fetching a good price, which amazes
me) and just save ones that Disney hasn't released or that are already
out of print on DVD.

To their discredit: Disney has a bad habit of charging a lot (i.e.
more than the average going price) for their movies on DVD. In
addition, they have a habit of letting titles go out of print.

To their credit: when they release a movie on DVD, MOST of the time it
is a decent transfer. Their special editions are some of the best
special editions out there.

I think you will be doing yourself a disservice transferring what is
VERY clearly an inferior quality video to DVD. I know they are
probably for your kids and perhaps your kids will not really notice
the quality issue but I nevertheless stand by my statement. And that
way, you avoid any legal issues about bypassing Macrovision.

My two cents as a Disney fan and a DVD fan.

Lyman