internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:31:39 -0500

On 1/4/06, Tom Karches <tkarches AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/06, dave.m.parker AT gsk.com <dave.m.parker AT gsk.com> wrote:

> The only bad case for replacement is that some DVD titles now force
> you to watch the previews (main menu button locked out). Sometimes
> older releases of the DVD are available which have "skippable"
> previews.

This can also often be circumvented by the flashing of Firmware on
some DVD players. Which also may in turn be circumventing the DCMA.
There are intricacies there I cannot even begin to address so I just
want to make sure to mention it.

There is a thriving community of Firmware hackers doing legal and some
more questionable things with firmware hacks. Some DVD players have
more technical capability that is simply not "enabled" and with a
firmware flash the player can do something nifty. The Sampo players
are famous for that - there are complex firmware upgrades out there
that allow all kinds of interesting functionality like custom bitmap
backgrounds.

Lyman Green
--
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.