internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:19:51 -0500

On 1/3/06, dave.m.parker AT gsk.com <dave.m.parker AT gsk.com> wrote:

> So we got ourselves a DVD recorder for Christmas. The idea was to put all
> our VHS onto DVD for more convenient storage and access, but there are some
> we can't record, particularly Disney titles. Does any of you know of a
> simple and inexpensive solution? I have no intention, by the way, of doing
> anything illegal.

I am looking at the purchase of a DVD recorder for the same reason. I
have a bookshelf full of VHS and Hi8 camcorder tapes that I would like
to transfer.

Depending on the model of DVD recorder that you have, it may be
possible to re-flash the firmware to turn off the Macrovision.
Reflashing the firmware MAY be a violation of the DMCA. I am not aware
of the legality of copying a tape which I own to another piece of
media that will be for my personal use.

You may find that you are unable to copy your own personal tapes as I
have heard the the Macrovision circuitry can sometime "see" a
Macrovision signal that is not there.

As for replacing tapes with DVD's, this is a good option. Look on
half.com or amazon.com for used DVD copies. They have a Wish List
system that can notify you when I replaced my broken Spinal Tap VHS
tape with a copy from Circuit City for $8, and got a bunch of extra
bonus stuff on the disc.

The only bad case for replacement is that some DVD titles now force
you to watch the previews (main menu button locked out). Sometimes
older releases of the DVD are available which have "skippable"
previews.

--Tom

--
Tom Karches