internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] SSL Consulting?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] SSL Consulting?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:03:21 -0400

Craig, who do you recommend for a cert authority? I've used Thawte for
many years, since back when they were one of the only alternatives to
Verisign/NSI, but now that they're owned by Verisign, I've considered
using RapidSSL or one of the other newly minted competitors. Comments?

My employer (one the universities in the NC system) purchased wildcard certificates from the Comodo Group because the costs for Verisign with the number of secure services we need to set up were getting very expensive. They've been very easy to work (IIS 6, Apache 1.3 or Apache 2.0, Tomcat) with and we've had no problems with browser support. The only problem we've run into was application specific. An Oracle 9i Application Server we were setting up would only accept a Verisign or Thawte certificate, not one of our generated Comodo certs.

http://www.enterprisessl.com/ssl-certificate-products/ssl.html
http://www.enterprisessl.com/ssl-certificate-support/ssl-certificate- browser_compatibility.html

- SL