internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] SSL Consulting?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Craig Duncan <craigduncan AT entuend.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] SSL Consulting?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:20:13 -0400

Steven Champeon wrote:

on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:59:20PM -0400, Craig Duncan wrote:

Depends on what you are looking to do. If you find that you have a lot of transactions, you will want to consider adding a SSL accelerator card to offload from the processor - but you may not have that option on a hosted box. If you want to have SSL support for multiple domains, you should consider a wildcard certificate, and since you want to have a trust relationship with your customers, you should buy from one of the big name vendors, rather than becoming your own certificate authority.

Craig, who do you recommend for a cert authority? I've used Thawte for
many years, since back when they were one of the only alternatives to
Verisign/NSI, but now that they're owned by Verisign, I've considered
using RapidSSL or one of the other newly minted competitors. Comments?

In the past, when working on large scale sites, I purchased from VeriSign. At the moment, I am reviewing RapidSSL for a client of mine and so far have found no issues with their test certificate (works on all major browsers) and their prices also seem pretty competitive. Much of what/who you choose to buy from depends on the perception of your end users.

Craig