internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org, calvin AT cspowers.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:49:38 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2005 10:32:59 AM Central Daylight Time, ron AT fuzzsonic.com writes:

> But the last thing in my house that still needs that phone line is the
> security system. If someone breaks in, it uses the phone line to call
> the security company.
A side comment from my days with alarm systems. Burglery 101 SOP 4.1.1a calls for cutting the phone lines prior to initating entry to prevent outgoing alarm calls. To address this, better systems use a cell phone autodialer, which does not rely on the copper conductors to make the call to the alarm company. Perhaps this upgrade would eliminate the need for your land line.

Don B

These systems are frequently behind the news articles where a hoodlum is caught having lunch in the house they are robbing. They cut the phone line, go in and think they have plenty of time, see a roast in the fridge and chow down. The security system uses a cell autodialer and alerts. The better ones make the call when they detect loss of dial tone and so help is on the way before they even get in the house.