internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:05:05 -0400

On 5/9/05, ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com> wrote:
> Calvin Powers wrote:
>
> > But the last thing in my house that still needs that phone line is the
> > security system. If someone breaks in, it uses the phone line to call
> > the security company.
>
> As an alternative, you might look into the lowest cost options for a
> POTS line. I don't know if it is still the case, but there used to be
> regulations that required the providers to make a bare line available at
> a minimal charge. By bare, I mean a pay-as-you-go local calling plan,
> no long distance plan, no special features, etc. The idea was to make
> service available as widely as possible. Low income homes, the elderly
> etc. would be able to make 911 calls and be checked on by family. You
> may not find these rates advertised on the provider websites, but they
> may be out there. Worth a call to their customer service line.
>
> If you find out anything, please post. I've been thinking about VOIP
> but would like to know my options for keeping one line-powered phone
> hooked up via POTS if only for 911 and power-outage situations.

For what it is worth, when I wanted to order the absolute barest
minimum phone line from Bellsouth no such option was offered even
after repeated customer service inquiries. They had NO cheap options
- the cheapest phone line was about 30 bucks a month after taxes and
services and other assorted charges. Bellsouth would not sell me DSL
without a phone line so I had to eat that. And that line had the
barest minimums of service(s) available WRT long distance, local
calling, etc.

Lyman

--
Interviewer: I've been told Dinsdale Piranha nailed your head to the floor.
Stig: No. Never. He was a smashing bloke. He used to buy his mother