internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin.powers AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Home Security Systems and Broadband
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:21:35 -0400

I don't know the usual rates. but I also bought the equipment upfront and I'm paying $20 a month. From what I understand, that's a little less than the usual monthly rate in my area. but as always YMMV.
--cp

On 5/11/05, David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com> wrote:
On 05/11/05 11:59 AM, "ron thigpen" <ron AT fuzzsonic.com> wrote:

> possible for GSM if you cloned the SIM card.  not sure how the network
> would react if both connected at once.
>
> given that the revenue model of the home security companies is based
> around recurruing service fees, i'd guess that the cell option was
> contracted through their provider and add'l monthly fee were rolled into
> your security services fee.  if it were roll your own, fees could be
> quite low if you could find the right pre-paid or pay-as-you-go plan.

Not for all of them. I went with a local installer, and my monthly
monitoring is $15/month. I bought the equipment upfront, but I believe I
will break-even after a few years with what I hope are lower monitoring
costs. How much is monitoring usually?

David

---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/