internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Firefox

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Firefox
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:39:23 -0400

Edward Wesolowski wrote:

Are there Firefox users among INWer's?

of course!

I like the idea of better security but I don't want to have to think
about the browser right now!

so don't think, download:
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

in more detail, firefox _may_ be more secure than what you are using, if you are using IE, then it is certainly less attacked. some FF security holes have been found, but promptly patched. it remains to be seen whether long term security is indeed better, but i believe that it most likely will be and for now it is where i am placing my bets.

other reasons to use FF:
very good standards compliant rendering
tabbed browsing
built-in popup blocking
the AdBlock extension
other privacy bits, like per-site cookie controls
the extensions concept in general
developer tools: .js debugger, DOM inspector, liveHTTPheaders, etc.

and it's public websites that are built to IE-only standards are becoming quite rare these days. and it's alternate browser adoption that is making this happen.

give it a go and see how you like it. if you're like most people i've introduced to it, just the tabbed browsing will win you over. and AdBlock pretty much rules.

--rt