internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personal information aboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personal information aboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:15:01 -0500

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:11:11 -0500, Michael Czeiszperger
<michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:
> Its unfair to even make this comparison in my opinion. The Windows OS
> was designed for desktop and small business server use, and as such was
> never intended to run overnight. UNIX was designed for use as a 24x7
> server, and has been used for such for decades, and so it naturally
> going to have better uptimes.

Michael,

I'm sorry, but that's just a cop-out in my book. Just because something is
"designed for desktop and small business server use" doesn't mean that
it can't be designed correctly, without memory leaks, with proper
privilege separation, etc... Being for desktop use does not in any
way at all preclude making something stable. Microsoft has brainwashed
people into thinking that rebooting is normal, but it is not. Having to
reboot shows that the operating system is not well built.

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com