internetworkers - FWD: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations (Modified by Scott)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lynn Russell" <lynnruss AT intrex.net>
  • To: <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: FWD: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations (Modified by Scott)
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:50:32 -0500

On Mar 7, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Lyman Green wrote:

A note of caution with regards to the IBM's - they are soon not to be
IBM, though I understand the Chinese company that bought the business
gets to keep using the Thinkpad name for a while.

Lyman

The systems built & shipping today are still IBM born and bred here in
Raleigh still. The Lenovo thing won't happen until 2Q if I remember
right.

Actually, ThinkPad laptops have been made Shenzhen, China for about two years now. Target date for "segmentation" is 30 April.

Also, Lenovo did not just buy the ThinkPad/ThinkCentre branding. They bought the entire IBM Personal Computing Division business, lock, stock and barrel. They also purchased rights to a number of IBM patents.

The CEO of "the new Lenovo" is the Sr. VP and GM of IBM PCD. Base of operations will be split between upstate NY and RTP.

FWIW...
Lynn

  • FWD: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations (Modified by Scott), Lynn Russell, 03/08/2005