internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Marry A Canadian

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT cashi.us>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Marry A Canadian
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:14:58 -0500

Michael wrote:

My understanding of the difference is single-fire vs. burst fire. A hunting/self-defense weapon is generally one that can fire one round at a time. An "assault" weapon is one that can fire multiple without any user interaction other than a single pull of the trigger.

Nope. Unless you have a special kind of gun dealer license, you better not possess any weapons with 'burst fire' capability. That is considered an 'automatic-weapon'. Legal assault weapons are 'semi-automatic' - you pull the trigger, you get a bullet, rinse and repeat.

Some hunting rifles are single-shot, like bolt-action or lever-action, requiring some manual intervention to get another bullet in the chamber. Or they break open and you literally have to put a bullet in the chamber with your hand.

I would venture to say that *all* assault-weapons are semi-automatic. However, it is fairly simple to modify a semi-automatic weapon to make it fully automatic.

Also, assault-weapons are usually designed for ruggedness, are smaller, easier to conceal, and accept big-ass clips (30 rounds or more).