internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The New Morality

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The New Morality
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:09:37 -0500

This whole "moral values" thing is a crock of shit. If you look at the numbers

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/155/story_15546_1.html
(Towards the bottom)

Twenty-two percent of the electorate indicated that moral values were the key factor in determining who to vote for. Of those, 80% voted for Bush. Well 80% of 22% is 17.6%, which happens to be the proportion of fundamentalist Christians in the U.S. electorate. (Source: The Two Americas, by Stanley Greenburg.)

That's a solid and reliable minority for the GOP, but it is still a minority - less than a fifth of the country. But if you listen to the news media and such, half the country just got religion. It's just not true, it's just not there.

Also, neither Bush nor the fundamentalists have any lock on morality. Don't get me started on the fundamental immorality of the Bush Administration.

TaB

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Interesting article by Cringley today

Interesting quote:

If the experts are correct, the 2004 election results mean we now live in a country where morality is apparently the major concern of people. Am I wrong, or is the same thing not true in Iran? And if our morality is in fundamental conflict with their morality, which side will be willing to sacrifice more to obtain what they view as their just end? I can tell you it ain't us.

Cheers,
Tanner
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Thomas Beckett