internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT for even this group: jetta vs. civic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT for even this group: jetta vs. civic
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:10:26 -0400

Jim Ray wrote:

[JR>] I made mistake of having them repair 1st electric window to tune of
$600. for the 2nd and 3rd, I bought the part for $100 or so and did it
myself. They don't work; however, I saved a bunch of money.

The window regulators were a faulty design. They've since been redesigned and the new ones don't appear to be failing as the old ones did.

It took VW a while, and a good bit of internet-enabled customer heckling, but to their credit they eventually stepped up and covered these failures. A letter went out to all owners, and I think the coverage was even retroactive.

There is a similar story having to do with the spark coil-packs on the 1.8T equipped vehicles and the mass/airflow sensor on the VR6's. Each time it's been covered, eventually.

In each case this was basically poor QA involving outside suppliers. (Interestingly, I've read reports from insiders that show relative quality is actually higher in the Mexican and Brazilian assembled cars.) The word is that VW knows this is hurting the brand and that the chairman is absolutely on the warpath with respect to quality issues.

My personal experience has been OK. I did suffer window and MAF failures, but they were fixed quickly and fully covered. Otherwise, with 60k on the clock, the car (2000 GTI VR6) has been brilliant.

Southern States can be kind of sucky. I've had variable treatment from the service department, but the work has been OK. I'd avoid their sales staff like the plague.

YMMV,

--rt