internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:15:56 -0400

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Tony Spencer wrote:
<snip!>
> > He was incorrect when he made the claim that the Crossfire hosts
> have a
> > responsibility to the American people. Wrong. They are a TV show
> that is a
> > company that has a responsibility to their shareholders only.
> They are
> > responsible for making money.

No, there is a mandate by the FCC that a portion of programming be
public affairs for informing the community.
Now this may only apply to network/broadcast stations and not to
cable.
But if it does apply to cable, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts
that Crossfire is classified a public affairs/community

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/broadcast.html

Joanna