internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Jon Stewart on Crossfire
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:51:36 -0400

Tony Spencer wrote:
I may be wrong but I don't think it applies to cable. I don't think its
considered public airwaves.

The RF spectrum is public property and is licensed to broadcasters to serve a public purpose as well as for economic development. Cable networks are hard assets and are considered private property, with some limitations. For example, the "must carry" rule requires cable service providers to carry local broadcast stations on their networks. That is believed to be in the public interest, for economic as well as informational reasons.

TaB