internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] on definitions...'special interests' ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] on definitions...'special interests' ?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:25:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hmmm. You're right, in that this ad's message seems a little confused;
but without a transcript in front of me I'd be foolish to spout off about
it just from your description.

So, just because we're on a 'definitions' thread, I thought I'd chime in
with something that might help:

"Special interest

"A hidden stake of one party, that is not revealed when relevant
information is disclosed by that party.

"Also used to refer to overt lobbying or political efforts of groups
affiliated by a common interest, such as industry groups,
environmentalists or various social groups such as one advocating for
immigrants, financeurs or veterans. Generally any loose affiliation of
interests for the purpose of influencing political debate, affiliated
outside a party structure or within a political group, might be described
as a special interest group.

"The label is often attached to a group whose political agenda seeks
advantage for that group with proposals that otherwise have no direct
benefit for the entire political body."

(Based on first and last paragraphs, I'm not sure breast cancer survivors
qualify as a special interest. They're not exactly pushing for something
that doesn't benefit the body politic.)

--s