internetworkers - [internetworkers] on definitions..."special interests" ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] on definitions..."special interests" ?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:08:47 -0400

So, this morning on the radio I heard an attack ad against Richard
Burr. (Presumably it was sponsored by Bowles, but I don't know for
certain.) The ad was criticizing Burr's record on breast cancer
research; it was narrated by a breast cancer survivor and claimed that
Burr had voted against any and all funding for such research. Ok, fine,
seems like a valid point.

But what really got me is at the end of the ad, the narrator said
something along the lines of "vote against Burr; don't elect a candidate
controlled by special interests."

Now, if you are a supporter of breast cancer research and making your
sole decision to vote based on which candidate would further that goal,
ISN'T THAT A SPECIAL INTEREST ?!?!

How/why did the author of this ad have the gall to spend the whole spot
talking about their one goal -- not electing someone who would not
further their particular interest -- and then claim that the candidate
*is* beholden to special interests. WHAT?!

And if they were trying to insinuate that Burr's stance *against* cancer
research was due to a "special interest" -- what interest is that? I
haven't ever heard of a "Citizens for Breast Cancer" anywhere!

Craziness. The ad was making a very good point with me until I heard
this idiotic part.

Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |