internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Fox News at it yet again

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Fox News at it yet again
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:16:58 -0400

James Dasher wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2004, at 1:42 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:
>
> >> Add to that, his wife
> >> Pauline Cameron
> >> works for or has worked for the Bush campaign. And even all this isn't
> >> enough for Fox News to sideline him or fire him.
> >
> > When did working for a campaign become grounds for firing?
> >
> > Paul Begala currently works for the Kerry campaign AND is employeed by
> > CNN.
> > James Carville currently works for the Kerry campaign AND is employeed
> > by
> > CNN.

And Paul Begala is the co-host of Crossfire with Carville. Where according
to the CNN site "Begala and co-host James Carville provide insight and
commentary "from the left," as they square off against conservatives Robert
Novak and Tucker Carlson."

They are presented as being biased and therefore I have no problem with it.

> I think the real sin is that Carl Cameron's WIFE may have worked for or
> might currently work for a political campaign.
>
> Since James Carville's wife doesn't work for the Kerry campaign, I
> think that means he's not biased.

Actually James Carville's wife, Mary Matalin, worked for the Bush campaign
and served as an assistant to Bush and advisor to Cheney.

> Feh.
>
> Anyways, I know it won't go over well here, but there are two things
> worth noting about news media:
>
> 1) This sounds like a pool report gone bad. Pool reports have gone out
> as news stories before people - editors, etc. - catch them. And the
> reporter can sometimes look bad when things the reporter might say to a
> colleague suddenly get seen by hundreds (or thousands, or more) people.

Actually he claims it was a joke that somehow got out.