internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] VP Debate

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] VP Debate
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:12:48 -0400

During the broadcast (or what we could call a "re-broadcast" for Fox News) did you notice any differences between the performances or other aspects of the presentation? After watching "Outfoxed" recently ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0418038/ ) I would be inclined to believe that they were delaying so they could cut away from anything that made John Edwards look good, as well as remove anything potentially damaging for Cheney. I highly recommend you all check out the above mentioned title, as it contains good information about large-scale media consolidation and some of the effects it is having on national discourse.

As far as the Veep debate last night, I think it was a much more aggressive debate. Thanks should go out to the moderator for asking tough (altho very long) questions. I think both the candidates did very well with their handling of the questions and their opponent. However, it was clear towards the end that both were tired and perhaps a little exasperated. Cheney suddenly stopped rebutting Edwards and John-John was slipping into comfortable barroom banter, while shaking and stuttering a bit. Still, many tough challenges and lots of aggressive feedback. This one felt more like an actual "debate."