internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:46:44 -0400

On 10/1/04 8:44 AM, "Evan Zimmerman" <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com> wrote:

> The Daily Show was "ok". It's always good, but they never seem to
> quite pull off the live ones.
>
> I'd agree that this was a pretty substantive debate -- I noticed many
> of the pundits afterward seemed stunned that it wasn't "boring" and
> uneventful as they had all seemed to predict (and as the president was
> presumed to be hoping for). All of the polls I saw afterward leaned
> ttoward Kerry as the winner, but he didn't have to win with sucker
> punches, which was nice.
>
> I was stunned about the certainty that Bush kept on with -- all the
> polls going into this said pretty unequivocally that if the country
> kept Bush most wanted him to "change". Giving a sign that he was
> willing to admit mistakes and correct the course might have washed
> Kerry out, but he didn't/couldn't do it. I was surprised by that -- I
> thought that was his trump card.

My feeling is that he can't admit to a mistake. I can't put my finger on a
quote, but I believe Bush has said that he prays for guidance, and has a
personal relationship with God. If that is the case, to admit a mistake is
to admit God is not infallible. Sort of a no win position for the President.

David