internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] republican email

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Shea Tisdale <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] republican email
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:25:44 -0400

I guess Republicans are not into math or history.

On 9/3/04 1:52 PM, "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com> wrote:

> I got this email from a staunch republican friend of mine.
> I guess I should just be so happy that Bush is our president...
>

> Forwarded email follows:
>
> In case you are too young to remember, some Americans still can!!
>
> There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq during the month of
> January..... in the fair city of Detroit (Michigan) there were 35
> murders in the month of January.
> That's one American city folks,
> about as deadly as the entire war torn country of Iraq!

The Population of Detroit is about 951,000 (2000 Census) while the number of
US troops in Iraq is closer to 137,000. Sounds like it is closer to seven
times more dangerous to be in Iraq. You will notice that this is really
Apples and Oranges, since it compares the number of US troops killed in
Iraq, and not the number of people killed (I guess Iraqi dead don't matter).

> Worst president in history?
>
> The following appeared in the Durham, NC local paper
> as a letter to the editor.
>
> Liberals claim President Bush shouldn't have started this war.
> They complain about his prosecution of it.
> One liberal recently claimed Bush
> was the worst president in US history.
> Let's clear up one point:
> We didn't start the war on terror.
> Try to remember, it was started by terrorists BEFORE 9/11.
>
> Let's look at the "worst" president and mismanagement claims.
>
> FDR led us into World War II. Germany never attacked us: Japan did.

This is false in the strictest sense, since German submarines attacked US
Merchant ships and Naval escort ships in the Atlantic.

Ignoring that, attacking Japan, which it would be tough to argue against,
would have lead to war with Germany anyway. According to Article III of the
The Tripartite Pact (the Three-Power Pact Between Germany, Italy, and Japan,
Signed at Berlin, September 27, 1940), once the US attacked Japan, Germany
and Italy would declare war against us anyway:

"Germany, Italy and Japan agree to co-operate in their efforts on aforesaid
lines. They further undertake to assist one another with all political,
economic and military means when one of the three contracting powers is
attacked by a power at present not involved in the European war or in the
Chinese-Japanese conflict."

David