internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Lasic Surgery

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <daerid AT io.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Lasic Surgery
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:27:10 -0400 (EDT)

Ruth Suehle said:
>> isn't so bad, and certainly a far cry from making you blind (of which, I
> found
>> absolutely no evidence at all).
>
> I personally have known of two people who ended up blind in one eye. You
> can
> also find a lot of stories posted on the Web -
> http://directory.google.com/Top/Health/Medicine/Medical_Specialties/Ophthalmology/Refractive_Correction/LASIK/Personal_Pages/.
>
> I think it's improved a lot, though, and I'd be more willing now than I
> would have been two or three years ago.
>
> Ruth

This account isn't much help because I don't have final data on the story
and I can't give out names, but 6 years ago when I worked in a different
building (one of our other campuses) one of the women I worked near had
Lasik. She was very excited about it and went with high expectations.
She came back and basically told me she regretted having it done she was
in so much pain. She suffered for some number of weeks (my memory seems
to say about 4 weeks) with what she said was fairly excruciating pain.
She left her department (not related to the eyes issue) and I didn't speak
with her again for some time - perhaps a year or more, but when I saw her
the next time she appeared to not be using glasses and she wasn't in pain
as far as I knew. I never followed up to get the full story about whether
she had changed her mind, but I remember that first period post surgery
where she was NOT a happy camper.

Lyman

--
Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark
side will be complete. - Emperor Palpatine