internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] crypto

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] crypto
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:48:15 -0400

Shea Tisdale wrote:
And don't forget that if I really want to know what you are putting into
your documents I'll just use a keystroke grabber...

Okay, humor me here. Wouldn't a keystroke grabber require:

- compromising my computer to install the grabber
- avoiding detection by my various and sundry malware detectors
- sending data back to you without being noticed by ZoneAlarm or some other firewall?

I reckon the FBI could do this if they really wanted to. So what would effective protection against this look like? In addition to keeping my laptop within reach at all times and giving up my wireless connection, is there readily available software that would provide further protection and/or intrusion detection?

Thanks for your indulgence.

TaB

P.S. In case anyone wants to see what a 2560-bit OpenPGP key looks like: http://www.tbeckett.com/beckettkeys.html