internetworkers - [internetworkers] crypto

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] crypto
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:28:57 -0400

I am finally getting around to something that's been on my list for a long time: setting up encryption capability on my computer. I've installed GnuPG and the Enigmail plug-in for Mozilla. I generated a set of keys on a trial run, everything seems to be working as it should. Seems like the end user applications have improved significantly during my period of procrastination.

One question I am mulling over is that of appropriate key size. I wonder if the cryptophiles here could shed a little wisdom on the subject. What's the conventional wisdom these days on key size? 1024? 2048? 1536?

I found an article on the subject that seems helpful, advocating a 2560-bit key.
http://www.arraydev.com/commerce/jibc/9605-4.htm
It was written in 1996. The basic logic seems sound. Has anything changed in eight years to change that?

Thanks in advance for your comments. This has been a phun project and I've enjoyed learning more about practical cryptography.

TaB

P.S. Anybody up for a key-signing session at next week's Gathering at the Hibernian?