internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] from the desk of Arianna Huffington
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:02:37 -0400

Matus wrote:

>The sheer magnitude of corporate greed often escapes us, but imagine what
>could be accomplished with the resources hoarded by greedy executives.

And growing up in a Free Market system, I always ask myself the rebuttal
question: "Instead of imagining what could be accomplished, and bemoaning
the actions of others, what about creating the financial wherewithal to do
all that good so oft talked about? I believe entrepreneurs DO imagine what
could be accomplished, and back it with action."

And I admit that I don't know the intimate details of many "greedy
executives", but everyone I've known with some money has not hoarded it, but
put it to productive and steady use. I've seen numerous examples of people
making big money in RTP, and using it to fund charities left and right, as
well as putting that money into the hands of the "working stiffs" of the
community in a hundred ways. Again, the question for me is not whether we
should imagine what could be done, but when will we start building our own
philanthropic powerhouse. One of the beauties of the free market is that
many good people have the opportunity to do great things; as opposed to many
people having the ability to just do 'okay', we can do 'okay' in all sorts
of systems. And there's nothing wrong with doing 'okay', but I believe my
society will be better if the good people feel they have a fighting chance
to do great things once in a while.

Aside - To Michael C's fair response to my big-biz rant: Corruption sucks
whether in Enron, or with the gangs in east L.A., but I don't hear the
mantra that "Republicans help the corrupt businesses". What I hear is that
R-policitians benefit 'big-biz', with no descriptor added. It's funny, if a
big biz with 10 million customers commits fraud, everyone says they ripped
off 10M; they are evil; they are scum. But if that same company doesn't
commit fraud, I don't hear anyone say "Hey, these guys are serving 10M,
being decent, and making life better. Go big biz!"

Don