internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] democrats, republicans, libertarians, oh my!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] democrats, republicans, libertarians, oh my!
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

In reference to Ian Meyer's message:
> if you honestly stand back and look at it, are any of us on this list
> really going to change our minds based on what we read here?
>
> i think that the vast majority of (at least the active posters) people
> on this list are pretty set in our ways, and we clearly defend our
> beliefs tooth and nail.

I know you're talking politics here, but but I'd like to comment in
defense of open-mindedness in general.

True, by the time most people reach adulthood they have solidified their
world-view. Don't discount the value of discussion, however. I'd like to
think that intelligent and/or open-minded people or groups (like INW)
benefit from the ability to update their judgements.

For instance, although I haven't changed my opinion of the nature of
juries in this country, my stance has been softened somewhat by the
discussion of it last week. Perhaps continued discussion would convince
me of the merits of the jury system. Or consider this: I grew up
homophobic, and when I moved to this area in 1997 I was still put-off by
homosexuality. If it weren't for all of the discussions I had with many
people, then I wouldn't today be able to count among the people I know the
many good and decent people I know ... who just happen to be gay or
lesbian or bisexual or whatever.

Reasoned discourse is always a good thing.

-Alan