internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "Hard drives night"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "Hard drives night"
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:21:12 -0400 (EDT)

nifty, but i don't recommend this:
-- a) as expensive ($60, +s&h) as higher-end USB+FW enclosures
-- b) FW only
-- c) internal-PC-style power plugs -- won't this mean you have to shut
down the PC if you've used the power supply to power this thing?

with c), you'll either have to come up with some funky adapter to plug it
straight into a wall socket, or you'll end up plugging it into your pc's
power supply. i'm not sure what it takes to be hot-swappable, but i don't
think unplugging a drive from this board while it's getting power from
your PC counts. (someone more knowledgeable about power issues, please
correct me if i'm off base here.)

an advantage to the external enclosures is the separate power supply,
which means sticking a new drive in doesn't require shutting down the pc,
just disconnecting the USB/FW connection, powering down the enclosure, and
pulling out the drive. here's GraniteDigital's offerings (although i
think you can find these cheaper elsewhere):

http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg39_usb2harddrivesystems.htm

a word of warning: be skeptical when they tell you the $70 3.5" enclosure
only supports IDE drives up to 120Gb... :)

-sil

Reported 04.06.20 18:38 from Ian Meyer:
.:
.:here's some:
.:
.:http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg19_firewirebridgeboards.htm
.:
.:there's others that are little blue blocks, they go on the end of the
.:drive and just have a couple FW ports, but I can't remember the name or
.:who makes them
.:
.:but also, yeah, any FW enclosure would work for this
.:
.:~ian
.:
.: