internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Just for fun

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Just for fun
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:55:12 -0400

On Apr 23, 2004, at 10:36 AM, Tony Spencer wrote:

"February orders were revised sharply upward, as well. Instead of the
previously reported 2.5 percent gain, the Commerce Department said February
orders were up 3.8 percent. Orders have risen in three of the last four
months."

Unless January orders were also up on the same amount, then you haven't got a quarter of strong growth.

After what happened with the Bush Administration and the Medicare bill, I'm wary of revised figures coming out the Commerce Department in an election year:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4571136/

"Rick Foster, the chief actuary for Medicare, says he was told he would be fired if he passed along the higher estimates to Congress. 'I'll fire him so fast his head will spin,' Thomas Scully, then head of Medicare, said last June, according to an aide who has now gone public."

Let's hope the Commerce Department is more immune to the affects of political appointees.

I like how a republican member of congress is now complaining about how he was offered bribes to support the medicare bill:

"A retiring Republican from Michigan, Rep. Nick Smith, even charges that supporters of the bill offered him a bribe in the form of financial support for the political campaign of his son."

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC