internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:45:35 -0400

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:37, Marcia wrote:
> Ummmmm, I also mail international packages pretty often, and never had any
> problems mailing media (books, photos, CDs, CD-ROMs). Actually, I just
> mailed
> a package to my parents, and I did specify on the customs form everything
> that
> was in the fox, including a CD-ROM, and nobody said anything.
>
> I didn’t see any sign referring to media mailing though, and if I had seen
> it,
> probably wouldn’t said anything, or would ask like you, after the
> transaction
> was over. ;-)
>
> I wonder why they want to know about “any type of media”. Is it for
> international packages only or national mail too?

Marcia,

The restrictions only apply if you are trying to use the lower Media
Mail rate (sometimes called fourth class, formerly known as book rate).
If you didn't specify that, your items would have been sent first class
(air mail) or third class (surface). There are still restrictions of
course (no explosives, alcohol, etc.) but besides that you can send just
about anything 1st or 3rd class.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |