internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marcia <msmartin AT ccbeunet.br>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:37:13 -0300

Ummmmm, I also mail international packages pretty often, and never had any
problems mailing media (books, photos, CDs, CD-ROMs). Actually, I just
mailed
a package to my parents, and I did specify on the customs form everything
that
was in the fox, including a CD-ROM, and nobody said anything.

I didn’t see any sign referring to media mailing though, and if I had seen
it,
probably wouldn’t said anything, or would ask like you, after the transaction
was over. ;-)

I wonder why they want to know about “any type of media”. Is it for
international packages only or national mail too?

--Marcia

Quoting matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>:

> hey all --
>
> I just had a strange experience and I'm interested to know if anyone
> else has had similar. Basically, I mail a good bit of stuff to folks
> around the world -- pictures, data cd-roms, stuffed animals, etc. In
> 15+ years of doing this, I've never been asked to have my package
> inspected before postage will be sold.
>
> Well, at the PO today, I had to send off 5 soft mailers. The only
> contents were a paper slip (short personal note) and a cd-rom. Of
> course, I had them sealed and addressed before I ever left the house,
> so they were not "open" when I went to purchase postage.
>
> Thankfully, the clerk I was dealing with appeared to be very new to the
> job. After getting me squared away with postage, never questioning
> what I was sending other than "CD-ROMs", I was ready to pay and get on
> with my day. At that point, I noticed a large-print note on the
> counter top. It clearly stated that ANY MEDIA (incl. books, tapes,
> CD-ROMs, magazines, etc) being sent in the mail had to come to the PO
> in an UNOPENED package that MUST BE inspected before postage is sold.
>
> Well, we were clearly past this stage, but I curiously asked about the
> policy. The new clerk said it was just for "books," but I pointed down
> to the clip art images of cds and tapes and books and the words "ALL
> MEDIA" and asked for clarification. At this point, the other feistier
> clerk piped up and started making like they were gonna saw open my just
> completed packages.
>
> I contested saying that the original clerk should have informed me of
> the new policy and that our transaction was completed. The
> ferociousness of my argument obviously paid off because she quickly
> retreated from this position. All in all, I got to send my packages
> with little bother, but they reinforced that IN THE FUTURE ALL MEDIA
> must be inspected before being sent.
>
> Does this not sound like a way to track copyright infringers to you?
> Like I said, I've been mailing for many, many years and never had a
> problem. Now, all of a sudden (and a good 2 1/2 years after terrorism
> central) they want to inspect all media being mailed via their service?
> WTF?
>
> Besides my above guesstimate, I have no idea what they are trying to
> prevent or what trick they are attempting to pull, but I feel as though
> my civil liberties just got a lot more restricted. Anyone else have
> this experience?
>
> dave m.

WebMail Litoral Internet
www.litoral.com.br