internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:29:26 -0400

On Apr 21, 2004, at 3:08 PM, K. Jo Garner wrote:

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, matusiak wrote:
->counter top. It clearly stated that ANY MEDIA (incl. books, tapes,
->CD-ROMs, magazines, etc) being sent in the mail had to come to the PO
->in an UNOPENED package that MUST BE inspected before postage is sold.

Well I know that if you are going to send something book rate the going
theory is that all contents should indeed be books. But, I have never had
anyone ask to open my packages to verify their contents.

I've had this happen before recently, and send media rate frequently. They made me cut my box open so they could inspect it, and then I had to tape it up again. First I had to explain that it wasn't a computer game (which doesn't qualify for media rate) and that it was a BOOK, just in CD-ROM format, which was quite confusing. OBVIOUSLY if its on a computer disc it must be a computer program! (The item was a collection of the 1st year of some famous Marvel comic lines on a CD-ROM.)

My understanding is there's been a large increase in the number of people sending stuff media rate because of all the individuals buying and selling books, DVDs, and tapes on Amazon.com and eBay. With boxed sets of DVDs, for example, its much cheaper to buy 'em and then resell 'em on eBay as compared to going to a video store. On Amazon practically every title for sale has used items available from individuals who use media rate.

The post office's reaction obviously is this huge increase in media rate volume must be due to people abusing the system, hence they're inspecting every package.

The other hassle I had at the post office was they didn't want to let me ship in a mineral water box, explaining that they don't allow people to use alcoholic beverage boxes. It was a german brand of mineral water, and the box said "Mineral Wasser", and the clerk was sure that was some sort of alcohol! The line was backed up out the door while we argued about it. Actually it took a while before I figured out she wasn't going to ship my package. I kept thinking "why is she talking about alcohol boxes?"

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC