internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Outgoing Package Inspections at Post Office
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, matusiak wrote:
->counter top. It clearly stated that ANY MEDIA (incl. books, tapes,
->CD-ROMs, magazines, etc) being sent in the mail had to come to the PO
->in an UNOPENED package that MUST BE inspected before postage is sold.

Well I know that if you are going to send something book rate the going
theory is that all contents should indeed be books. But, I have never had
anyone ask to open my packages to verify their contents.

According to
http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

there is a rate for Media Mail, so it may be a way to verify this rate as
opposed to First Class (which should be the most expensive option anyhow).

->Does this not sound like a way to track copyright infringers to you?
->Like I said, I've been mailing for many, many years and never had a
->problem. Now, all of a sudden (and a good 2 1/2 years after terrorism
->central) they want to inspect all media being mailed via their service?
-> WTF?

The more I read into it the more I think it's another rate method.

Cheers
KJ

"We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and
some people, they put their ticket away. Me, I watch the show." - George
Carlin
http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly -=*= kelly <@> unc.edu