internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Economic growth figures rigged?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Economic growth figures rigged?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:33:53 -0400

On Apr 12, 2004, at 5:08 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:

Fair enough. Perhaps I do have rose colored glasses. Regardless I hope
this trend continues and the news remains positive for American workers.

The trend is welcome, and the payroll report does describe a net gain in jobs. But the world doesn't stand still, and the population of working-age Americans grows by about 120,000 to 150,000 every month--so it's possible to have both more jobs, and more unemployed people. Many people see this as a reasonable baseline: We should at least be holding the line on the percentage of unemployed people. This month, yes.

Then there's the fact that many of the new jobs are lower-paying than the ones they "replaced," which sucks.

=jimA=