internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] interactive spam block

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] interactive spam block
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 01:05:02 -0400

on Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:56:25AM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Alan MacHett said the following on 4/5/04 11:10 PM:
> >It's only mildly annoying, but I just thought of a potential glitch. What
> >if I had to send a legitimate mass mailing and many of the addresses were
> >at Earthlink? Now I'm stuck having to respond to a sizeable number of
> >these automated responses. Or what if so-n-so AT earthlink.net signs onto a
> >listserv for the first time and the listserv sends an automated response,
> >to which it gets an automated response to which the listserv will never
> >respond, and then the person in question becomes irritated that he can't
> >seem to get signed up on the listserv.
>
> Even worse. What if someone forges e-mail from you and sends it to
> thousands or hundreds of thousands of earthlink subscribers! Now, all
> of a sudden, you're innundated with thousands and thousands of these
> challenges. Welcome to being joe-jobbed.

We've been under attack by accept-then-bounce servers for weeks now; to
the tune of 25K+ bounces so far, from 8200+ different servers. It's not fun.

Please, if you're running qmail, go kill yourself. But before you do,
please find someone who can uninstall qmail from your server after you die.

Thanks!
Steve

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/