internetworkers - [internetworkers] interactive spam block

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] interactive spam block
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:10:57 -0400 (EDT)

Not sure how old this is, but I just discovered that Earthlink's
SpamBlocker is interactive in its effort to overcome spam. They're
utilizing the puzzle concept. If your message to an Earthlink customer is
the first you've ever sent, then the server sends an automated response
with a link. The link goes to a form page with some information already
completed. The puzzle is the last item.

It's only mildly annoying, but I just thought of a potential glitch. What
if I had to send a legitimate mass mailing and many of the addresses were
at Earthlink? Now I'm stuck having to respond to a sizeable number of
these automated responses. Or what if so-n-so AT earthlink.net signs onto a
listserv for the first time and the listserv sends an automated response,
to which it gets an automated response to which the listserv will never
respond, and then the person in question becomes irritated that he can't
seem to get signed up on the listserv.

Now, one would hope that all of these Earthlink people in question would
know to add such-n-whichever email address to their white list in order to
avoid such complications for whomever is attempting to contact them.
However, people are lazy and forgetful and stupid, so...

So we're back to pondering what is the best solution to spam.

-Alan

========== QUOTATION ==========
Please complete the short form below. If xxxxx AT mindspring.com chooses to
allow email from your address, the message(s) that have been intercepted
will be delivered immediately, and any future message(s) will be delivered
without delay.

Your First Name: Alan
M.I.:
Your Last Name: MacHett

Enter your additional email addresses here:
Address 1: [me]@ibiblio.org
Add other addresses (if you have more than one).
Please type a short message to xxxxx AT mindspring.com.
(100 characters, max.):

Enter the text you see below into the box to its right.

This step is for added security.

Visually impaired? Click here