internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Stop Computer Voting In North Carolina

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Stop Computer Voting In North Carolina
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:41:52 -0500

Rachel Cox wrote:
Yeah, I'm not very excited about electronic voting at this point
myself. I'm eager for the time when I can be, but right now there are
just too many questions for me to be comfortable with it.

Well in North Carolina at least, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The paper ballot and optical reader system we now use (in Orange, Durham and Wake at least) works great, and there's a physical ballot and audit trail. The ballot itself is simple and easy to understand. I have even witnessed a local election recount on behalf of the Democratic Party and I think the system works well. I would be extremely suspicious of any effort to replace this system with anything else.

TaB