internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:37:20 -0500

... an endless supply of liberal "Me too, I agree" conversations. As a member of the dread, horrible, so-called "religious right" I am very disappointed to see all of this liberal chatter with not a single "core" member of the list willing to represent the opposing side.

Tom,

We do tend to lurk, but we are out there. Welcome to the list. Please be patient with them, despite their political naivete they are all very nice people. We get together once a month for a social outing. You should come. You'll see.

Become that person then. Please, tell me why you think gay marriage should not be allowed. I'd love to hear more about why the government should be in the business of dictating what are essentially
religious / moral principles, especially in light of the principle
of separation of church and state.

Phillip,

I'll take a stab at it while we're waiting for Tom to get back to us. The "Gay Marriage" thing is one more attempt to use the coercive power of the State to destroy (or at least greatly change) an institution from which certain people feel excluded. As a libertarian (of a different feather) I unflaggingly support any gay couple's right to do anything that married couples do -- live together, shop together, sleep together, love each other, fight, buy furniture -- but I do not support their efforts to compel an unwilling majority to call them "Married".
A) There is no one on the list that is not a die-hard liberal .

Well, there's me...

Not I. I'm a die-hard Libertarian. We're both "left of left" AND
"right of right." Simply labeling everybody as "liberal" or
"conservative" is a gross over-simplification, at best.

Yes, it's almost as gross an over-simplification as the labeling oneself a "Libertarian" and claiming to be exempt from the political continuum.

Either way, it's clear to me that I should consider that maybe I don't belong here. I will wait to see some responses to this message, and then probably unsubscribe.

Why unsubscribe? Just have your email program put the Internetworkers stuff in its own box. After a while you will get a feeling for which people you can tolerate. Then just read their postings and gloat over all the other unread messages in the Internetworkers box. That's what I do.

I think it would be great if you didn't unsubscribe. Maybe the majority of the people on this list *are* what you would refer to as "die-hard liberals." Good, then having a dissenting voice can only be a good thing, for everybody. Anything that makes people think is good, IMHO.

I'd hate a list where everybody only ever agrees and says "me too." How boring would that be? Dissent should be welcomed, even encouraged... it's healthy, as long as the people on both sides of the issues are willing to maintain an open mind.

I'm not big on open minds. When you think you run the risk of forming theories, evaluating them and coming to some tentative conclusions based on the facts. Opinion is the product of thinking. Someone who thinks but keeps an open mind is like a butcher who doesn't cut his own meat. He makes a great show of turning the crank on the grinder -- but he isn't making any sausages.

Just my $00.02 worth, from a decidedly non "core" member of the list. :-)

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes