internetworkers - [internetworkers] 802.11b stereo receiver

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] 802.11b stereo receiver
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:19:19 -0500

This product looks like something I really need :-) Like some of you folks on the list, my music collection is largely stored on a computer. Its great when I want to listen next to the computer, but not so great when I want to listen from other rooms. For example, buying a CD from iTunes and listening to it upstairs means physically burning a CD, which is what I was trying to get away from in the first place.

This little gadget claims to be the equivalent of a radio receiver for your own wi-fi radio server running Windows, OSX, or Linux. Sure, you could get an FM transmitter for your computer's audio output, but then how would you select songs from a different room? You can also plug a USB hard drive into it, and it will act as a streaming server as well.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=340752
http://www.macsense.com/product/homepod/

So far the only gotcha I can see is its unclear whether it supports the encrypted ACC and Windows media files.
michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC