internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] another on-topic thing (PHP with MySQL)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] another on-topic thing (PHP with MySQL)
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:42:51 -0500

Scott Lundgren wrote:
Would someone please be so kind as to tell me how I can fix this? (I'm on
linux).

If you were building PHP from source then you would include --with-mysql
during the config routine.
But you're not, so Mandrake (and other distros) seperate out the MySQL
functionality for PHP into a seperate RPM. That's what you need. Below is a
linke to rpmfind.net for a php-mysql package for Mandrake 9.2

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=php-mysql&submit=Sear
ch+...&system=mandrake+9.2&arch=

No, no, no! There's no need to use rpmfind for mandrake when you've got
urpmi. If you haven't setup urpmi, go to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/
and follow the instructions there to set things up. To install the
needed rpm, then do this command:

urpmi php-mysql

That will install the php-mysql rpm and all needed dependencies.

Urpmi is one of the best things about Mandrake. It completely
simplifies package management. Unfortunately, it's also one
of the most unsung things. Red Hat's up2date and debian's
apt-get get all the press, but urpmi has been a workable
solution since before either of those were available (in
apt-get's case, I'm referring to the rpm version of apt).

Cheers,
Tanner