internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Black Budget

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Black Budget
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:18:28 -0500 (EST)

I should have been more explicit. I know the budget isn't black, not all
of it at least. I know it's publicly available. However, as James
Manning said, it's mostly over my head. Those are a lot of numbers to
keep track of, and they don't mean particularly much to me. That's why I
think it wise to hear input from the people who best know the financial
status of a given department -- the people in that department. If the
public doesn't care, then nothing changes; and if they think something's
wrong, then they can mention it to their representatives to try to
influence next year's budget.

But, in truth, I realize it's all moot. I overlooked one particular word
in the article: "discussions", as in "Chambers broke a federal rule
against public comment on budget discussions". And I have to agree with
James Manning that such a rule makes sense from the standpoint of
controlling the already out-of-control lobbies.

--Alan