internetworkers - [internetworkers] Semantic Web/Email [was:nap'tech'->WWW->Sem'Web]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Semantic Web/Email [was:nap'tech'->WWW->Sem'Web]
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:01:43 -0500 (EST)

Michael D. Thomas said:
> I think it is time for you to figure this problem out. Email is
> constantly being mis-interpreted ...
>
> I personally think that that email needs some form of client-side
> data/presentation transformations, ...
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing this problem solved and I'm glad that
> you've volunteered your time and energies to uncover the solution.
> Just remember that when you email us your solution, don't expect anyone
> to understand what you are trying to do. Email is really bad for that
> kind of thing.

ROTFLMAO, Michael.
However, your post got me thinking and googling. You're absolutely right
and we've known this not only since the inception of BBSs and email but
since the use of telephone and radio. Although telecommunication allows
for greater bandwidth, it loses on content. This inherent fault seems to
have hardly been addressed over the years, though. I've included some
links below that I believe are well worth reading (mostly .pdf, sorry).

In line with Tim Berners-Lee's Semantic Web concept, I envision Emotive
Messenging. As it stands, an author must explicitly include emotional
content to a message: emoticons[:)] or markup[/grin/] or those stupid
little smiley faces in AOL's Instant Messenger. What if the email client
included the emotive context for you? What if the emotional content were
reflected by, say, color, or if it automatically inserted the
markup[/grin/] for you? The client would include an editing tool that
would allow you to correct any misinterpretations or to add any missing
ones. And you would be able to install and select "dictionaries" as
needed to reflect cultural differences in interpretation, say, if you were
going to write one message to your peeps in South Central and another to a
business contact in Nigeria. (The latter part of that last sentence, for
instance, would be colored orange, for humor... :) /grin/)

It wouldn't even have to be built into the email client. The pseudo-AI or
rulesets could be a seperate package that could be installed on any
platform: email, IM, ICQ, text-messeging, HTML, any digital text system.
Users would have the option of choosing between seeing emotional content
conveyed through either colored text or standard markup[/grin/] (for the
color-blind, for instance). There could even be a visually-impaired
add-on with a library of inflection-specific voices. Perhaps the
libraries/dictionaries would be rather slim* to begin with, but would have
an author-assisted Bayesian learning system.

*Admittedly, such a scheme would be rather complex -- creating algorithms
or rulesets or whatever to interpret emotional content based on textual
context. One would hope that the field of linguistics would have covered
this aspect already. (Maybe not, based on this post:
http://www.linguistlist.org/~ask-ling/archive-1998.7/msg00866.html
and work is being done on emotional content in speech recognition; perhaps
that could be applied to text as well:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/03/06/juliaHirschberg.html )
Still, I figure if MSWord's little pop-up-paperclip-thingy can tell me my
grammar is bad, then something else should be able to color my text with
emotive context.

What does everyone think?

_________REFERENCES:__________

http://www.teleinstitut.de/journal/Nonverbal%20cues%20in%20cmc-enviroment.pdf
IMPLEMENTING NON-VERBAL CUES IN CMC-ENVIRONMENTS
Bernd Wiest, 10/96
"The relational level is a meta-level communicating HOW the sender of the
information wants the message to be understood by the recipient. This
level is used to express feelings and transfers the non-verbal cues."

"The difference between succesfull and less succesfull email-courses seems
to be because of the implicated non-verbal cues, too (among other things).
Teachers and moderators are using them. They describe processes and
non-verbal reactions implicitly and provide a 'more human,' warm, and
motivating learning environment.
"So if we are able to use these opportunities, we can also improve our
communication and interactions and avoid misunderstandings that may cause
problems.
"This is just a first step in developing ways to improve the
'media-richness' of Computer Mediated Communication. Nevertheless it is a
way showing us, that we do not have a 'lack of nonverbal cues' because of
the media, but because they are not implemented, yet."
______________________________

http://www.wmich.edu/grad/gatraining/SAemail.htm
When and How to Communicate Electronically
Information Technology Digest
April 8, 1996 (Vol. 5, No. 4)
"Lack of Context
"A note stuck to your door is informal; a signed memorandum on
departmental letterhead is official. The way a message is sent tells the
recipient a lot--people have learned to recognize the status of a message
from its context and formatting cues.
"In e-mail, however, both kinds of message look the same. You can't send
an e-mail message on letterhead or on scented stationery. As a result,
your recipient not only lacks the non-verbal content of your speech, but
he or she also lacks the traditional symbols that would show its status
and context. If people in your department receive an e-mail message saying
'Please get all grades in by the 25th,' they don't necessarily know
whether it is an official statement of policy or a plea for help from an
overworked administrator.
"As we start to use e-mail interchangeably with all of the other
communication methods available to us, we have to develop ways of making
the context of the message clear. Eventually, we may have 'electronic
letterhead' for verifiable official messages. Until then, the best
solution is to explain your message's status and context right up front.
You might, for example, state 'This is a formal announcement from the
office of the director,' if indeed that's what it is."
______________________________

http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=260068&type=pdf&coll=GUIDE&dl=ACM&CFID=14178046&CFTOKEN=38839323
Conveying emotion in remote computer-mediated-communication
(alas, they want money for the actual article)

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/paulos/pubs/papers/Connexus%20Workshop%20(CSCW%20200).pdf
Connexus: An Evocative Interface
(an interesting communications concept from Berkeley)

http://tangible.media.mit.edu/pape
rs/LumiTouch_CHI01/LumiTouch_CHI01.pdf
(another, not-as-complex idea from MIT)

--Alan