internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: napkin technology --> WWW --> Semantic Web

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: napkin technology --> WWW --> Semantic Web
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:38:23 -0500 (EST)

I feel sure Alan knows I wasn't offended, and I hope no one else took
offense (by his posts or mine). Hopefully the curt manner of this thread
has been overlooked in favor of the humor and content.

And you're right, Alan; PopSci does seem to be a reasonable indicator of
which technologies have left the napkinware stage. I disparage the
magazine for its consumer scope, because that's not an audience I care to
be part of, but I do think it manages to serve its audience well.

--Sil

Reported 03.11.16 23:42 from Alan MacHett:

.:too late it occurred to me that my response might appear to be rude. my
.:apologies for that; it wasn't meant to be. I just found your comments,
.:Sil, to be humorous and just had to respond with my own humor, quirky as
.:it might be.
.:
.:Popular Science is often years behind the curve, I know, but it might also
.:be argued that it acts as a sort of benchmark. Popular Science, being of
.:the "popular" mindset, usually only addresses those technologies that have
.:gone beyond theory/experimentation (the aforementioned napkin stage) or
.:are nearing that point. If it's in PopSci, then it's likely to be or
.:become reality.
.:
.:--Alan
.:
.:Alan MacHett said:
.:> um...
.:> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious
.:>
.:> Sil Greene said:
.:>>
.:>> Maybe I'm blind (it's a known bug..er feature) ... but what does Omni
.:>> magazine have to do with either the Semantic Web or PopSci sucking?
.:>>
.:>> /snip all/