internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Email scams

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Email scams
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:04:16 -0500

on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:43:37PM -0500, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> This beats all! Timothy Seso Seko called me Monday at the number I left
> him...lol.

Shea, I hope you realize that you're not dealing with "Timothy Seso
Seko", you're dealing with a gang of thugs who have already imprisoned
several people. One victim shot a Nigerian diplomat in retaliation.

http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/fraudschemes.htm#nigerian
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57760,00.html
http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/419statement.shtml

This ain't TV, ya know. I strongly suggest you report this guy to the
Treasury Department and FBI via 419.fcd AT usss.treas.gov. Remember, if
they can find out your phone number, they can presumably also find out
where you live; you've been using your real name, right, so they know
that, too - not to be paranoid, but do you really think it's wise to be
playing with criminals without taking some precautions?

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier