internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] for the tivio addicted

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <gina.norman AT nortelnetworks.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] for the tivio addicted
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:43:30 -0400

Title: RE: [internetworkers] for the tivio addicted

> In the minds of the people who provide you with Television
> programming,
> skipping the commercials equals Theft.  You are "stealing"
> the shows if
> you do this.

Really?  I hadn't heard that ... I am sure they don't *like* it, but I didn't know they equated it with stealing.  If they (the cable providers) do think it's stealing though, it's kinda funny that I can fast forward through commercials on the DVR that Time Warner is leasing me (for a couple bucks a month, so it's not like they're making up for potentially lost advertising revenue that way).  You'd think they'd disable that, if they found it hateful...

> Probably all of which voids manufacturers warranties,

It does, but Jeff's TIVO at least, was out of warranty anyway (it's "ancient" by TIVO standards).

> as well as
> welcoming home raids from the RIAA and MPAA.
>
> You don't own your TiVo.  TiVo owns you.

Perhaps true, but I can say that about most of the technology I love.  If my PDA crapped out, for instance, I'd be quite unable to function (though, of course, the data is backed up).

:)

-Gina